Life Science Company News
LifeMD Reports Q1 2021 Revenue up 323% to Record $18.2M, Raises Full Year Revenue Guidance to $90-$100M
- 92% of Q1 2021 revenue was generated by subscriptions, up from 75% in Q1 2020
- Total patients and customers served nationwide surpassed 320,000
- Gross Margins of 82%, up 13% from the same year-ago period
- Total Telehealth Order volume grew by 373% versus year ago period to 164,452
NEW YORK, May 13, 2021 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- LifeMD, Inc. (“the Company”) (NASDAQ: LFMD), a leading direct-to-patient telehealth company, today reported results for the first quarter ended March 31, 2021. All quarterly comparisons are to the same year-ago period. The Company will hold a conference call at 4:30 p.m. Eastern time today to discuss the results (see dial-in information below.)
|($ in 000s)||Three Months Ended March 31||Y-o-Y|
|Key Performance Metrics||2021||2020||% Growth|
|Subscription Revenue as % of Total||92%||75%|
|Total Telehealth Orders||164,452||34,753||373%|
Q1 Financial Highlights
- Revenue increased 323% to a record $18.2 million.
- 92% of Q1 2021 revenue was generated by subscriptions, up from 75% in Q1 2020.
- Telemedicine orders increased 373% to more than 164,000.
- Gross profit increased 403% to $14.9 million or 82% of revenue.
- Cash totaled $13.4 million at March 31, 2021, versus $9.2 million at December 31, 2020. Subsequent to the end of the quarter, the Company completed a private placement with net proceeds of $13.5 million.
Q1 Operational Highlights
- Total patients and customers served nationwide surpassed 320,000.
- At the end of the first quarter of 2021, launched Nava MD™, a tele-dermatology and skincare brand that offers virtual medical treatment from dermatologists and other providers. Nava MD’s proprietary products leverage intellectual property and proprietary formulations licensed from Restorsea, a leading skincare technology platform.
- In the quarter, the Company changed its name from Conversion Labs to Life MD™, reflecting its evolution and expansion from a branded telemedicine products company into a leading provider of end-to-end concierge telehealth services.
- Expanded the management team with the appointments of a Chief Medical Officer, Chief Financial Officer, Chief Digital Officer, Chief Business Officer, and Corporate Controller.
“As a rising leader in telehealth, we’re extremely pleased with the evolution of LifeMD into a powerful end-to-end patient-centric digital health platform. Having addressed the needs of over 320,000 patients and customers across 50 states, we are creating converts and advocates of virtual healthcare,” noted LifeMD Chairman and CEO, Justin Schreiber. “I’m especially pleased with the management and leadership team that have chosen to join LifeMD on our journey. We are a company which has been built from the ground up to support the expansion of telehealth and its new role in the transformation of patient care.”
“What has been encouraging in the new year, is just how quickly telehealth has been adopted to become a permanent part of the healthcare continuum. The new modality has eased the burden of physician workflow within the healthcare system and patients have embraced virtual treatment as a result of its improved cost, accessibility and convenience. In support of this rapid adoption, the Company is leveraging its digital technology platform with unlimited scalability across new verticals, products and services. As LifeMD continues to support the adoption of telehealth, we are now able to set the stage for balanced growth and multiple pathways to profitability,” concluded Mr. Schreiber.
Marc Benathen, CFO commented, “We are extremely pleased with LifeMD’s performance in the period as we continue to overlay new products, services and plan for launches into new healthcare indications and verticals. In doing so, we continue to ramp the business in support of growing revenues and an increasing subscriber base with the goal of working towards profitability. We have also recently begun to hone in on our KPI’s and unit economics and in doing so, reduced our cash burn on a go forward basis by approximately 30% due mostly to more efficient acquisition spend while maintaining an aggressive revenue growth trajectory. This burn will continue to further reduce as we scale our company. Based on the strong results of Q1 and continued momentum resulting from our strong recurring subscription revenue model, we are now increasing our Full Year 2021 Revenue Guidance to $90 to $100 million.”
Q1 2021 Financial Summary
- Revenue in the first quarter of 2021 increased 323% to a record $18.2 million from $4.3 million in the same year-ago quarter. The growth in revenue was primarily driven by a 349% increase in telemedicine product revenues.
- The company’s LegalSimpli subsidiary, a PDF software-as-a-service (SaaS), contributed net sales of $4.9 million, up 264% from the year-ago quarter.
- Including $1.3 million in deferred revenue associated with recurring subscriptions, adjusted revenues on a non-GAAP basis would total $19.5 million for the first quarter of 2021.
- Gross profit in the first quarter increased 403% to $14.9 million, compared to $3.0 million in the same year-ago quarter. Gross margin in the first quarter of 2021 increased to 82% from 69% in the same year-ago quarter. The increase of 13% was principally attributable to lower product costs, growth of our prescription business and more stringent inventory management.
- Operating expense in the first quarter of 2021 was $26.8 million, up from $4.7 million in the same year-ago quarter. The increase was primarily due to increases of selling and marketing expenses of $15.9 million driven by growth in discretionary customer acquisition spend, general and administrative expenses of $5.2 million, other operating expenses of $737,000, customer services expenses of $127,000, and development cost of $114,000. G&A expenses for first quarter of 2021 also included non-cash expenses for stock-based compensation and amortization of $2.3 million.
- Net loss attributable to common stockholders for the first quarter of 2021 was $11.6 million or $(0.47) per share, as compared to a net loss attributable to common stockholders of $2.4 million or $(0.23) per share in the first quarter of 2020.
- Excluding $2.3 million related to non-cash stock-based compensation expense, Adjusted EPS, a non-GAAP term, totaled a loss of $(0.38) per share for the first quarter of 2021 as compared to a loss of $(0.22) per share for the first quarter of 2020. (see definition of this non-GAAP term and reconciliation to GAAP, below).
- Adjusted EBITDA, a non-GAAP term, totaled a loss of $8.9 million in the first quarter of 2021, compared to an Adjusted EBITDA loss of $556,000 in the same year-ago quarter (see definition of this non-GAAP term and reconciliation to GAAP, below).
- Cash totaled $13.4 million at March 31, 2021, as compared to $9.2 million at December 31, 2020. The increase was primarily due to a private placement with net proceeds of $13.5 million completed in February 2021.
2021 Financial Outlook
For the full year 2021, the company is raising its revenue guidance to $90 million to $100 million from its previous guidance of $85 to $95 million. The current guidance represents revenue growth of 141% to 168% versus prior year.
LifeMD’s management will host a conference call followed by a question and answer session to discuss the company’s financial results and outlook.
Date: Thursday, May 13, 2021
Time: 4:30 p.m. Eastern time (1:30 p.m. Pacific time)
Toll-free dial-in number: 1-866-269-4260
International dial-in number: 1-720-452-9102
Conference ID: 3530318
The conference call will be webcast live and available for replay via a link provided in the Investors section of the company’s website at https://ir.lifemd.com.
Please call the conference telephone number five minutes prior to the start time. An operator will register your name and organization.
Anyone listening to the call is encouraged to read the company's periodic reports on file with the Securities and Exchange Commission, including the discussion of risk factors and historical results of operations and financial condition in those reports.
LifeMD, Inc. is a rapidly growing direct-to-patient telehealth company that offers cash pay virtual medical treatment, prescription medications and over the counter products to patients across all 50 states. LifeMD's telemedicine platform enables virtual access to affordable and convenient medical treatment from licensed providers and, when appropriate, prescription medications and over-the-counter products delivered directly to the patient's home. To learn more, go to?LifeMD.com.
Cautionary Note Regarding Forward Looking Statements
This news release includes forward-looking statements within the meaning of Section 27A of the Securities Act of 1933 and Section 21E of the Securities Exchange Act of 1934, as amended, regarding, among other things our plans, strategies and prospects - both business and financial. While we believe that our plans, intentions and expectations reflected in or suggested by these forward-looking statements are reasonable, we cannot assure you that we will achieve or realize these plans, intentions or expectations. Forward-looking statements are inherently subject to risks, uncertainties and assumptions. Many of the forward-looking statements contained in this news release may be identified by the use of forward-looking words such as "believe," "expect," "anticipate," "should," "planned," "will," "may," "intend," "estimated," and "potential," among others. Important factors that could cause actual results to differ materially from the forward-looking statements we make in this news release include market conditions and those set forth in reports or documents that we file from time to time with the United States Securities and Exchange Commission. All forward-looking statements attributable to LifeMD, Inc. or a person acting on its behalf are expressly qualified in their entirety by this cautionary language.
|CONDENSED CONSOLIDATED BALANCE SHEETS|
|March 31, 2021||December 31, 2020|
|Accounts receivable, net||1,351,443||648,421|
|Other current assets||104,801||154,876|
|Total Current Assets||17,837,524||$||12,063,395|
|Right of use asset, net||249,848||274,437|
|Capitalized software, net||400,392||375,983|
|Intangible assets, net||255,937||339,840|
|Total non-current assets||906,177||990,260|
|LIABILITIES, MEZZANINE EQUITY AND STOCKHOLDERS' DEFICIT|
|Accounts payable and accrued expenses||$||13,430,136||$||11,794,084|
|Notes payable, net||674,269||779,132|
|Total Current Liabilities||15,443,714||13,490,096|
|Contingent consideration on purchase of LegalSimpli||100,000||100,000|
|Preferred Stock, $0.0001 per value; 5,000,000 shares authorized|
|Series B Preferred Stock, $0.0001 per value; 5,000 shares authorized, 3,500 and 3,500 shares issued and outstanding, liquidation value approximately, $1,045 and $1,045 per share as of March 31, 2021 and December 31, 2020, respectively||3,778,014||3,655,822|
|Common stock, $0.01 par value; 100,000,000 shares authorized, 25,885,014 and 23,433,663 |
shares issued, 25,781,974 and 23,330,623 outstanding as of March 31, 2021 and December 31, 2020, respectively
|Additional paid-in capital||91,585,607||77,779,370|
|Treasury stock, 103,040 and 103,040 shares, at cost||(163,701||)||(163,701||)|
|Total LifeMD, Inc. Stockholders’ Deficit||(73,531||)||(2,301,899||)|
|Total Stockholders’ Deficit||(841,427||)||(4,477,586||)|
|Total Liabilities, Mezzanine Equity and Stockholders’ Deficit||$||18,743,701||$||13,053,655|
|CONDENSED CONSOLIDATED STATEMENTS OF OPERATIONS|
|Three Months Ended March 31,|
|Product revenues, net||$||13,283,315||$||2,955,801|
|Software revenues, net||4,914,797||1,349,011|
|Service revenues, net||-|
|Total Revenues, net||18,198,112||4,304,812|
|Cost of product revenue||3,123,025||1,252,747|
|Cost of software revenue||140,228||84,903|
|Cost of revenues||3,263,253||1,337,650|
|Selling & marketing expenses||18,640,731||2,745,882|
|General and administrative expenses||6,863,879||1,590,967|
|Other operating expenses||861,081||124,491|
|Customer service expenses||295,277||168,185|
|Other Income (Expenses)|
|Interest expense, net||(139,463||)||(793,039||)|
|Gain on debt forgiveness||184,914||-|
|Net Loss before provision for income taxes||(11,872,886||)||(2,533,544||)|
|Provision for income taxes||-||-|
|Net (loss) attributable to noncontrolling interests||(270,503||)||(138,816||)|
|Net loss attributable to LifeMD, Inc. common stockholders||$||(11,602,383||)||$||(2,394,728||)|
|Basic loss per share attributable to LifeMD, Inc. common stockholders||$||(0.47||)||$||(0.23||)|
|Diluted loss per share attributable to LifeMD, Inc. common stockholders||$||(0.47||)||$||(0.23||)|
|Weighted Average number of common shares outstanding:|
|CONDENSED CONSOLIDATED STATEMENTS OF CASH FLOWS|
|Three Months Ended March 31,|
|CASH FLOWS FROM OPERATING ACTIVITIES|
|Adjustments to reconcile net loss to net cash (used in) provided by operating activities:|
|Amortization of debt discount||80,051||191,247|
|Amortization of capitalized software||24,451||2,551|
|Amortization of intangibles||83,903||83,903|
|Acceleration of debt discount||-||
By: GlobenewsWire - 13 May 2021Back to overview